Image Map

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Adorable shape monsters and some 3D shape fun!!

Hello again friends!

I'm super jealous of you lucky ducks who had Monday off!  We had a bad weather make-up day and our 2nd one is already scheduled for Good Friday.  :(  Thank goodness our Spring Break is only 2 weeks away!  I'm ready for a little rest and relaxation, although not as much as the poor testing grade teachers at my school.  It's crunch time for them and their classes and I don't envy the pressure that they are under right now!

Anyway...I'm here to share all the fun things we've been doing during our unit on 3D Shapes!

We had a great time using this 3D shape sorting activity from Mrs. Wheeler's First Grade.  My kiddos sorted themselves into groups, using the real world object cards, before we created our anchor chart together.








We also had a ton of fun making Shape Monsters!!

We started with construction paper and folded them hot dog style.  Then, my students got to cut any shape they wanted along the side opposite the fold.  Once they opened it back up, they had the head to their monster!  (good for symmetry too!)  From there, they got to use the small 3D shapes however they wanted to create eyes, teeth and any other body parts!  After they finished creating, we did some writing to label the shapes we used in our monsters.





I think the final products are just adorable, don't you??





Today, we went on a 3D Shape Hunt!  They are getting really good at finding 3D shapes and this activity was a great way to wrap up our week!





As you can tell, we've been busy and I'm ready for the weekend!  My cousins and their twin boys are coming to visit this weekend and we're headed to the new children's museum here in Austin!  I'm excited!  What are your plans for the weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment