Image Map

Friday, December 13, 2013

Writing, writing and more writing!

I'm popping in today to share some of the writing we've been doing over the past 2 weeks!

I'm totally jealous of those of you who have lots of dedicated time for Writing or even hold Writer's Workshop every day- I wish!  We have 30 minutes officially dedicated to writing, so the activities I do often run over their allotted time!

Last week, we wrote Christmas cards to some elderly folks at a group home associated with my church.  The kids were so sweet with their thoughtfulness and came up with some great things to spread some holiday cheer.




We also used this awesome freebie from Stacy over at Funky Fresh Firsties to do a little snowman writing!  As a kid born and bred in Texas, I could count the number of times I've seen snow on one hand.  As an adult, I've been lucky enough to see it lots of times in Colorado and in Kansas visiting my in laws.  I still sit there in my mother in law's kitchen and stare in amazement when the little flakes are actually falling, especially at night- it's so pretty!!  Anyway, back to the classroom...we wrote about what it would be like if it snowed at our school!!



 

We're getting pretty good at rough drafts and doing little edits to our papers (mostly guided by me, of course!).  On Thursday, however, one of my particularly moody girls exclaimed, "I hate rough drafts!"  You'd have to know her to understand, but I let that one slide because I wanted her to actually make it through her writing.





We ended this week with some letter writing.  We talked about the 5 parts of a friendly letter with what else?  An anchor chart and Brain Pop Jr!



We wrote letters to our awesome custodians and hung them outside their storage closet on our hall.  I swear we have the hardest working head custodian in the whole world!!  He is amazing!!  I know you'll agree that custodians should be paid waaaaay more than they are.  Our staff always pools together to get them gift cards at the holidays, but we always wish we could do more.





Only one more week until Christmas break- can't wait to sleep in for 2 weeks straight!!  What are your plans for the break?

No comments:

Post a Comment